How to make presence your power
“I can’t do it!”
Ever wondered, “How do I stay in the present moment?”
“All negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry, all forms of fear are caused by too much future, and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of non-forgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.”
Everyone talks about living in the present moment but hardly anyone ever gives you a framework for how to do it.
In this episode, I break down the “6-step presence process” to bring you back to the present moment so you can powerfully create the life you want. Then I’ll give you a 6-step challenge to make it real in your life, now!
Learn how to make presence your power by listening.
Cause look, you have 60,000-70,000 thoughts a day. 75% of those thoughts are negative and over 50% are the same thoughts you had yesterday.
So here’s how to come back to the present...
1. The roommate starts chattering.
2. Notice that it's there, observe it. Get ready to give your voice a command.
3. Stop it by using this formula:
Hi (insert roommate name), I'm back.
(Now engage your senses:)
4. Take in a deep breath. A long inhale and a long exhale.
5. Look around. Try to notice something new. Is there a picture you've never seen? Are colors jumping out at you?
6. Take in the scent of your environment. What does it smell like?
Why does this work?
Cause it’s a pattern interrupt, that’s replacing the pattern with something new.
1. Concentrate on this exercise every day for the next week. Set an alarm on your phone multiple times during the day with the title "I'm back." This will force you to remember. The hardest part is developing an awareness around this exercise.
2. Go through the "I'm back" cycle as many times as you need to, whenever you hear the voice.
3. Don't be shocked at how often you're coming back, it's normal.
4. Don't let that inner roommate convince you that this is stupid. It wants you to think it's stupid in the beginning, trust me. Bye. Once you do this enough, the voice will start to slow down and you'll say "I'm back" less and less. Be excited for that day.
5. As the weeks progress, you'll do the exercise less and less because you'll be aware of it more and more. The voice will start to fade but it will always be there, so this practice never really goes away, it just gets easier. Consider it a walking mindfulness meditation exercise.
6. Enjoy your new freedom and life!
In the comments, tell me your story about how this technique brought you back to the present.
P.S. Take your presence to the next level with my free “5-Step Productivity Checklist"
Thanks for listening!
Any feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see in this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for SoulFeed on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are super helpful and greatly appreciated as it helps us spread light to a wider audience – plus, we read them!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates…till next time Soul Warrior!